I have a small obsession with this pattern. As blogged about HERE, HERE, and HERE. So, I like to find ways to change it up a little so it doesn't look like I am always wearing the same top.
For this remix I cut the bodice front on the fold as one piece so there would be no slit. I then gathered two long rectangles of fabric to make the ruffles. I cut one rectangle 3 inches by twice the width of the bottom hem and another one 4 inches tall by twice the width of the bottom hem.
I used my serger to gather the ruffles and attach the two ruffles together prior to attaching it to the bottom hem of the shirt.
For the neckline I serged the raw edge and then ironed it toward the wrong side. I then stitched the hem down.
I also put in a slit in the back neckline and used a button and elastic loop closure. There is a great tutorial for how to do that at CINO.
And I also omitted the pleats and gathered the fabric in the center front and back of the body instead. With the gathering, I do think I look pregnant without a belt on, but that being said, it will make a great maternity shirt one day!
I would enjoy this top more if I had an elastic belt that fit correctly...I need to find that fast! Then, I will be able to enjoy this one throughout the spring :)